I recently got a behind the scenes tour of the new Whole Foods Market on Camelback, here in Phoenix. I learned so many things about one of my favorite stores and this great new location that I just had to share with you. So here we go:
1. Did you know that 70% of the world's fair trade is sold at Whole Foods Market. Products like: coffee, flowers, wine, produce, chocolate, sugar, teas and body care products all have Fair Trade options under the Whole Foods "World Trade Program" What exactly is Fair Trade?
"It's a global trade model and certification that allows shoppers to quickly identify products that were produced in an ethical manner. For consumers, Fair Trade offers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their everyday shopping. For farmers and workers in developing countries, Fair Trade offers better prices, improved terms of trade, and the business skills necessary to produce high-quality products that can compete in the global marketplace. Through vibrant trade, farmers and workers can improve their lives and plan for their futures. Today, Fair Trade benefits more than 1.2 million farming families in 70 developing countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America."
2. Whole Foods Market was the first retailer to offer Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)-certified seafood and their farmed fish standards are one of the highest in the industry. Fresh seafood is delivered 6 days per week.
3. All eggs sold and used in the Whole Foods Market stores are cage free.
4. The new Whole Foods Camelback has a full service restaurant and bar called Twenty Highland Tavern that features a rotating selection of over 30 craft beers and six wines on tap and a couple of specialty cocktails. Food items include things like pizza, sushi and sandwiches
5. Along with the traditional salad/food bar found at most Whole Food Markets the Camelback location also has local rotisserie chickens, a wok bar (pick your own veggies and they will stir fry) and a full in store bakery making fresh bread daily. The bakery will also offer savory croissants, and a new line of French Macaroons (I love Macaroons)
October is Fair Trade month at Whole Foods Market, so be sure to check out all the wonderful Whole Trade items at your local store and if you live in Phoenix you should definitely stop by the new Camelback store.
Now for the fun part...