It might take a little planning on your part, but bringing a healthy homemade lunch to work every day is not impossible. What helps make it easy is having a fully stocked kitchen. Having all of your favorite good for you foods, along with storage containers for transporting, available is the first step to making sure you eat healthy.
A healthy stocked pantry can include the follow items:
1. Whole grains such as 100 % whole wheat bread, quinoa or barley.
2. Low sodium canned beans to make healthy dips or spreads.
3. Portable fruit such as apples, bananas, oranges, and grapes.
4. Mixed leafy greens, like spinach, kale or lettuce for salads or to add to sandwiches.
5. Eggs; hard boiled in advance make a quick snack.
6. Pre-sliced cheese.
7. Unsalted nuts.
8. Homemade granola.
9. Plain Greek yogurt.
10. Fresh pre-cut vegetables like carrots, celery, snap peas and bell peppers
11. Olive oil & balsamic vinegar to make healthy dressings.
12. Lemons to flavor water.
13. Mustard for sandwich spread.
A couple tips to make the process easier:
1. Prepare your lunch menu on the weekends. Make sure you have all the ingredients on hand and ready to go.
2. You can also batch cook on the weekend. Prepare soups, salads, dressings, and veggies in advance.
3. Packing lunch and snacks the night before so you are not scrambling in the morning.
4. Keep non-perishable snacks at your desk for those days you don't have time to pack. A good example would be whole wheat crackers and nuts.
5. Use small containers to portion out lunches for the entire week. Have them ready to grab-and-go in the morning. Using small containers eliminates the temptation to overeat.
The Arugula & Tomato Grilled Cheese
2 slices whole-grain bread
1 medium tomato, sliced
¼ cup fresh arugula
1 oz Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
1 tsp. butter
1. Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
2. Place on slice of bread on a warm skillet face up. Add tomato, arugula, and cheese. Top with other slice of bread, butter side up
3. Cook over medium high heat. 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, then cook for 3 to 4 more minutes or until cheese has melted.
We’re getting ready for #HealthyLunchDay on November 17th! Join us in encouraging and motivating people to eat healthy! Follow our pinterest board for lots of healthy lunch options.
In anticipation of #HealthyLunchDay 11/17 here r a few tips for eating a healthy lunch every day! https://t.co/BsMmjfs4vy #noexcuses #fitfam— Food Hunter (@foodhunterguide) November 12, 2015