You can work out as hard as you want at the gym, but if you don't buy the right foods at the grocery store your fitness gains will most certainly come up short. Shopping for food can be a daunting task as you try to navigate your way through aisles of products that claim to be healthy and usually aren't.
Here are my top 5 tips that will help you make more nutritious choices when food shopping.
1. Make a list and don't deviate from it. This will also help you with meal planning.
2. Use a cart. Fill the large area of your cart with nutrient dense products like fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains. Reserve the small top section for a treat or two.
3. Always shop the produce section first and stock up on as much as you can. Be sure to include vegetables of every color to get a bigger variety of nutrients.
4. Shop the perimeter of the store. This is where you will usually find your healthiest foods, such as meat, eggs, grains and dairy.
5. Avoid the inner aisles as much as possible. If you have to buy from these prepared food aisles be sure to read the labels and look for those with the fewest ingredients.
Do you have tips you'd like to add to this list? Leave them in the comments section below.
HAPPY HEALTHY SHOPPING!