October is Non-GMO month and Rumiano Cheese, a family owned and operated cheese company in California is celebrating by giving 1 lucky winner a year's worth of Non-GMO cheese. (enter here)
You may be wondering why all the hoopla: well Rumiano which has been producing cheese for over 90 years is the first in the world to achieve the Non-GMO project verification. What does this verification mean?
"The verification seal indicates that the product bearing the seal has gone through our verification process. Our verification is an assurance that a product has been produced according to consensus-based best practices for GMO avoidance:
- We require ongoing testing of all at-risk ingredients—any ingredient being grown commercially in GMO form must be tested prior to use in a verified product.
- We use an Action Threshold of 0.9%. This is in alignment with laws in the European Union, where any product containing more than 0.9% GMO must be labeled. Absence of all GMOs is the target for all Non-GMO Project Standard compliant products. Continuous improvement practices toward achieving this goal must be part of the Participant’s quality management systems.
- After the test, we require rigorous traceability and segregation practices to be followed in order to ensure ingredient integrity through to the finished product.
- For low-risk ingredients, we conduct a thorough review of ingredient specification sheets to determine absence of GMO risk.
- Verification is maintained through an annual audit, along with onsite inspections for high-risk products." (taken from the non-GMO Project website)
Not only do you have a chance to win a year's worth of cheese directly from Rumiano Cheese (enter here) but I'm going to give 5 lucky readers a chance to win a free block of cheese. That's right I'll be picking 5 winners at the end of the month. So be sure to get your entrees in (see below).
a Rafflecopter giveaway