Friday, January 13, 2012
What is Healthy? Build a Better Me
It’s that time of year, when everyone jumps on the “healthy” bandwagon. But does anyone really know what it means to be healthy?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “health” is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being. So being “healthy” is about taking responsibility for yourself and making wise choices for your body that will not only affect you today but also in the future. Eating right, getting physically fit, and being emotionally stable, are all part of being healthy.
What do I do to be “healthy”
1. I eat "real" foods and lots of them. I focus on fresh, often local fruits and veggies. I even grow my own when I can.
2. I practice moderation; in all aspects of life…I don’t make anything off limits…rather I limit the amount of everything.
3. I do my best to avoid the intake of chemicals; which means little to no processed foods. I may eat dessert daily but it’s always something I’ve made from scratch. So I know exactly what’s in every bite.
4. I try to be good to my body. I wear sunscreen all the time; and I don’t smoke.
5. I exercise daily; because I want to; because it makes me feel good, helps me relieve stress and gives me tons of energy
6. I try to surround myself with positive people and try to give off positive vibes myself.
7. I am happy with who and where I am in my life. I have made conscious decisions that I am proud of and have learned to not focus so much on the past.
So there you have it. To me being “healthy” is much more than diet and exercise. It's something we can all attain…no excuses allowed. The goal is to first figure out what "healthy" means to you and then go with it full force. Don't let anything or anybody stand in the way.
Posted by The Food Hunter at 6:00 AM