With Thanksgiving just a little over a week away, I thought I'd share with you some of my family's holiday traditions.
1. Dinner starts somewhere around 2:00pm on Thanksgiving day. (If my mom had her way we'd start at noon)
2. The first course is always a bowl of soup...usually escarole (Italian wedding soup); although this year we're doing a roasted carrot and fennel soup.
3. Soup is followed by some sort of homemade stuffed pasta; either lasagna, stuffed shells, or cannelloni. This year we're going to make lasagna.
4. A 2 hour break comes after the pasta course.
5. Male guests watch football or sleep during the above break.
6. Female guests continue with dinner preparations during the break mentioned in #4.
7. Turkey is usually served around 6:00pm; and is always accompanied by the following side dishes (no variations allowed): sausage stuffing, roasted rosemary potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, spicy cranberry sauce and corn.
8. Wine is flowing continuously all day long. (even when the men are sleeping in #5)
9. Pumpkin pie is always served; along with several other varieties which change yearly.
10. Nuts, figs, dates and chocolates are on the table the entire day. At least one guest every year will fill up on this and not be able to enjoy the main meal.
What are some of your Thanksgiving traditions?